Sunday, September 26, 2010

Just another day



Florida 48, Kentucky 14




One lazy Sunday for us all. Watched the race today and the Gator game was on yesterday (YEAH GATORS!) Was going to cookout but it rained last night and looked like it would rain all day today. Half of us are fighting a cold so we just decided to do nothing. Sissie is really taking a knock from the cold with a nasty sore throat. Her blood sugar when tested this morning was 153 and the redness and swelling from her leg is gone so the antibiotic is working.

Johnny is out cleaning out his toolbox.

His stats this morning:

WT - 202
BS - 328
BP - 130/82

He started taking 25 units of insulin last night.

Not much planned this week. Sissie and I are going to watch "The Prince of Persia"

Today's fun items are miniature art carved on lead on the tips of pencils by Dalton Ghetti.

Dalton uses three basic tools to make his incredible creations – a razor blade, sewing needle and sculpting knife. He even refuses to use a magnifying glass and has never sold any of his work, only given it away to friends. He said: “I use the sewing needle to make holes or dig into the graphite. I scratch and create lines and turn the graphite around slowly in my hand”


The Alphabet




The longest Dalton has spent on one piece was two and half years on a pencil with interlinking chains. A standard figure will take several months. He said: “The interlinking chains took the most effort and I was really pleased with it because it’s so intricate people think it must be two pencils”



I added this one in honor of Sissie.




I love how he carved into the wood and lead for this one.


Truly a piece of art. Wonder how many pencils it took to get it right.


When Dalton, from Connecticut, USA, first started he would become frustrated when a piece would break before being finished after he had spent months working on it. He said: “It would drive me mad when I would be just a bit too heavy handed and the pencil’s tip would break. I would get very nervous sometimes, particularly when the piece was almost finished, and then I would make a mistake. I decided to change the way I thought about the work – when I started a new piece my attitude would be ‘well this will break eventually but let’s see how far I get. It helped me break fewer pencils, and although I still do break them, it’s not as often”







No comments:

Post a Comment